All the latest news from Willandra Merinos
Excellent Result for the 2019 Sale
Willandra sold 127 rams of 130 offered to a top of $20,000 and an average of $2760 at their 41st Annual On-Property ram sale at Jerilderie. We sold 39 Merino rams for an average of $2609 and 60 Poll Merinos to an average of $3175. We also sold 17 Merino rams from the pen of threes for an average of $1647 and 11 Poll Merino rams from the pen of three for an average of $2750.
- The $20,000 ram with Angus and Heidy Heath, Willandra and purchaser, Aaron Granger of Rogara Poll Merinos, Goulburn. Photo credit: Annabel Lugsdin- Bel’s Rural Photography
- Wool of the $20,000 ram purchased by Aaron Granger of Rogara Poll Merinos, Goulburn. Photo credit: Annabel Lugsdin- Bel’s Rural Photography
John Wells Memorial Store Sheep Sale- 2019
24,000 sheep were penned at Jerilderie with the sale topping at $285 for June 18 drop, August shorn ewes sold by Cara Pty Ltd, Willandra Bld, ‘Cara’ bred. Equal 2nd top price of $270 went to Sleigh Pastoral Co with May/June 18 drop, August shorn, Willandra Bld, ‘Kooringal’ Brd ewes. Both are very successful long-term clients.
Mark Wettenhall of Cara Pty Ltd paid $15,000 for Lot 33 in the Willandra Ram Sale in September. Sleigh Pastoral Co purchased 14 rams at an average of $2,700.
2019 Elders Riverina Ewe of the Year
Willandra ‘Estelle’ – winner of the 2019 Elders Riverina Ewe of the Year.
‘Estelle’ is by Wallaloo Park 422 out of a ‘Desmond’ Ewe
Elders Riverina Clip of The Month Award
Ross with wool classer Christine Hall collecting an Elders Clip of the Month Award at the 2019 Elders Expo
Ram Sold to $51,000
WIL O-447, by Wallaloo Park 422 and out of a ‘Desmond’ daughter, has been sold privately at Hamilton Sheepvention to Clinton Blight, Seymour Park Merino Stud, WA. and a group of semen partners. The semen partners are Meadow View Poll stud, Cranston Pty Ltd, San Mateo Poll stud, Warralea Poll, Kamora Park Poll, Wililoo Poll and North Cowie Poll Merino studs. The ram was in the pair that won the National March Shorn Pair at Bendigo, 2019
The NSW Pair 2019 (WIL O-422 sold for $51,000 and ‘Estelle’)
A Great 2019 Bendigo Result
The 2019 Australian Sheep Breeders Assoc Sheep & Wool Show results were some of the best ever recorded by the stud – most notably winning
- Champion National March Shorn Pair
- Champion March Shorn Ewe
- Grand Champion Strong Wool Ewe
- Junior Champion Ewe
- Champion March Shorn Strong Wool Poll Ram
- Champion Junior Strong Wool Ram
- 2 1st and 1 2nd in the All Purpose Classes
- Champion Strong Wool Fleece Exhibit
plus numerous Reserve Champions across the Fine/Medium, Medium and Strong Wool classes. Other highlights were Glenpaen Stud winning the Supreme Champion Ewe and the Grand Champion Poll Ram with progeny of Willandra ‘GP’. Nerstane Stud won the Grand Champion Fine Wool Ewe with a ewe by ‘Desmond’.
Peter Jeffs Retiring
The Shows won’t be the same without Peter
Peter Jeffs and his wife Robyn are retiring to a block they have purchased in the picturesque King Valley. Peter’s professional experience has been invaluable to the stud in recent years. His expertise and knowledge were greatly appreciated and he will be sorely missed. We wish Peter and Robyn all the very best with their new life and new adventures.
Hay Sheep Show 2019
Willandra had a successful day out to begin our 2019 show season. We came home with the Champion March Shorn Ewe and the NSW winner of the Australian Hogget Ram sponsored by Mark Bazley Riverina Wool.
Heidy and Gus Heath holding Willandra W13 NSW winner Australian Hogget Ram.
Our results were;
- Wil 23 – Champion march shorn ewe coming from the March shorn strong wool lambs tooth class
- Wil 35 – 3rd in the March shorn strong wool ewe lambs tooth class
- Wil W11 – 1st in the March shorn strong wool ewe 2 tooth class
- Wil 117 – 3rd in the March shorn strong wool ewe 2 tooth class
- Wil 119 – Reserve Champion March shorn Ewe from the medium wool lambs tooth class
- Wil 33 – 3rd in the March shorn strong wool ram with 4 teeth
Deniliquin Success -2019
Unfortunately for sheep showing Willandra’s annual shearing coincided and due to time constraints we took no sheep. But our eager woolclasser persuaded Ross to send some fleeces and we were awarded 5 major trophies taking the Champion Fleece of Show, Champion Ram Fleece of the Show, Champion Ewe or Wether Fleece (Merino), Most Successful Exhibitor and Most Valuable Fleece.
Trophy Laden wool Bale
Christine Hall; Champion wool classer